TV Series (that) were better when I was a kid

Disclaimer: If you want to hold on to your fond memories of the TV series you loved as a kid, stop reading now (or at least don’t watch the You Tube videos).

When I was a kid, one of the scariest TV series around was V. I must have been 8 or 9 when it first came on television, and even though I do not remember much about the actual content of the show (some kind of sci-fi, futuristic show, with aliens, or half-human, half-alien guys, trying to take over the earth), I do recall vividly how scary it was. That is, until I decided to watch V again .




Needless to say, it is hard to imagine now why exactly this show was so scary to me as a kid. Perhaps it’s because I’m an adult now, or perhaps the series are just too dated to be believable, let alone cause suspense.

It made me think of other TV series I watched as a kid, and decided to have another look at them, to see how well they stood the test of time.

First of all, Knight Rider. When I was in primary school, this was the coolest show around. The idea of a futuristic cool car that could fly, not to mention speak and basically had a mind of its own was incredible. And let’s not forget, no one was cooler than Michael Knight, played by David Hasselhoff.

David Hasselhoff is of course mostly known for Baywatch, a show that, although I haven’t watched it since it first aired, I think I might still enjoy.* This, however, cannot be said for Knight Rider. I only have one thing to say about it: It’s awful!

Who can forget Alf, an alien from Melmec who crashed his spaceship and moves in with a human family. Everyone at school watched this show and loved it. Seriously?

Don’t even get me started on cartoons. I was stupid enough to look some of those up too. Cartoons that once appeared magical and entertaining, are now just dated eighties cartoons: She-ra Doctor Snuggles, Nils Holgerson.

Of course there are also exceptions. There’s a few TV series from my childhood that, even though they are very dated, I can still watch with fond memories and enjoy. These include: The A-team, Miami Vice, and let’s not forget Pippi Longstockings.

* For obvious reasons, which have nothing to do with plot or quality of the show.

Comments

Sean said…
I loved the black Cauldron when I was a kid. I watched it again recently and I couldn't figure out why. And watching things my parents did makes me scratch my head for sure