Bad lesbian movies

Why are there so many bad lesbian movies? I was thinking about this the other day. I can’t say I have come up with the answer, but I do think it has something to do with (1) there are just many many bad movies, and this is not limited to lesbian movies; (2) the topic of these movies is often not a great plot but the fact that it is about lesbians.

Even though I love to see some gay content in my movies, this by itself is not always enough to make a movie enjoyable. Ok it often is very enjoyable, especially if it involves some nice sex scenes, but it usually is not very memorable. I expect more from my movies than the fact that it involves lesbians.

Obviously not all lesbian movies are bad, and in my DVD collection there are quite some very good and interesting examples of those. For example, I really like movies like Imagine me and you, Show me love, and D.E.B.S. However, they do not really weigh up against some of the incredibly bad lesbian movies in my collection.

The first two gay movies I ever bought were Better than Chocolate and Go Fish. Because they were the first movies I had ever owned that involved dykes, I was pretty excited about them for a while, until the reality set in just how much these films sucked.

Even though the couple in Better than Chocolate are very cute (and hello Christina Cox. Hot!) and the movie has a few other great scenes (the covering each other in paint comes to mind), on the whole you cannot really say the movie has a great plot. It is also not very believable (Maggie standing naked in the bookstore while skinheads try to burn the place down) and at times it is kind of creepy (the mom using her daughter’s vibrator). Still, it is not half as bad as Go Fish.
Go Fish must be the Worst.Lesbian.Movie.Ever. What the hell were they thinking when they made this movie? It looks like part movie, part documentary, and part film school project. It is shot in a weird kind of way, in black and white, and it is so very very gay. Yes, I am actually complaining about a gay movie being too gay.

The other problem I have with this movie is the fact that they picked the most unattractive character ever for Max (a very young and really cute Guinevere Turner) to fall in love with. There is absolutely nothing appealing about the woman-the most exciting thing about her is her weird and creepy tea collection-and the haircut and accompanying wardrobe she gets half way through the movie does not make things any better. WTF?

More good lesbian movies please.

Comments