Comic of the month: Peanuts

I heart Peanuts. I know it is not a very original choice. Peanuts has been around forever, and most people like the comic. Because really, what’s not to love?

Just in case there are people out there who have never heard of the comic (is that really possible?), I will briefly explain what it is about. The main character in Peanuts is Charlie Brown, a loveable loser, as I like to call him. He has some self-esteem issues and he does not succeed in many things, but that never stops him from trying. There is Lucy, who always knows everything best and basically is a total bitch. Her little brother Linus is a big lover of Beethoven and a big geek. Then of course there is Charlie’s dog Snoopy. And who can forget Peppermint Patty.

The comic ran from the fifties until 2000, when the author and illustrator Charles M. Schulz died. It has been published in numerous newspapers and translated in more than 20 languages. It is in fact the most popular comic strip ever, or so I have been told.

What I love about this comic is how these kids can be so wise. Especially Linus and Charlie Brown often come up with quite simple yet profound revelations about the world around them. My favourite character though is Lucy, just because she is such a bitch. She is always so mean to Charlie Brown, it is quite cruel, yet amusing.

Comments