The day my laptop died

My laptop crashed. I knew it would happen eventually. In fact, I knew it would happen within a few weeks. Still, I was surprised when the thing finally refused to do anything. First I was surprised, then I panicked.

After panicking I remembered I made back ups of all the important stuff (and all the totally unimportant-yet fun-stuff too). So I relaxed again, but only for a little while because then I started to wonder what I was going to do the rest of the day.

You see, my laptop had pretty much become the most important thing in my life. Sounds so sad, I know. Sad, but also a lot of fun. I used it both for work and for fun, which means you basically could find me with it on my lap 24/7. Ok, I am not that bad, but I am a huge laptop addict.

I did not realize how much of an addict I hade become until my laptop broke down. It broke down and I did not know what to do with myself. It was scary.


The first thing that came to my mind was to run to the nearest store and buy a new laptop. I didn’t though. Instead I tidied the house, watched a movie, and went for a bike ride. Then I bought some lovely fresh food and prepared dinner.


It was just after dinner that the laptop withdrawal started. Or more precisely, internet withdrawal. All of a sudden all I could think about was I have to post new articles, I did not get to reply to all my email, I wonder what new blogs are posted on my favourite websites. Luckily I remembered my roommate has a computer with an internet connection too. Why hadn’t I thought of that before?


It has been three days since my laptop died. I haven’t bought a new one yet. I have been getting by with short periods of using my friends’ computer. It sort of works, but it is not the same. I am sure all you fellow addicts understand. I have to get me a new laptop very soon.

Comments