Music Memory Moment (MMM): For the roses-deus

A few years ago, my sister and I used to go to this bar every single week. Sometimes even twice a week, both Friday and Saturday night. It was a small, dark and very hot kind of place, with no windows and no fresh air.

I guess it was known as an “alternative” type place, where the majority of people who frequented the bar wore either black, baggy pants or band shirts. The music was always playing slightly too loud, but we did not care. In fact, we loved it. Somehow they always seemed to play songs we loved, as if we had brought them our own record collection.

On Friday nights the place was usually quiet, and my sister and I would sit at the bar, sipping our bottled beer and talk about our week. Then on Saturday nights, it would be packed with all our friends and the music would be too loud to really have a proper conversation.

Even though I had moved to a big city by then, I loved coming back to visit this bar. It has been a few years since I have been there, but I always think back on that time fondly. Just me and my sister hanging out, enjoying each other’s company, a few drinks and good music.

We would sit at the bar and think of which songs we would ask the DJ to play. It’s funny we spent so much time talking about it, because we always ended up requesting the same few songs. My favourite song during that time was (For the) roses by deus.
Whenever that song would play, my sister would get up to dance and I would just sit there alone at the bar and drink my beer. I would sit there and sing along, or just smoke a cigarette and smile. (For the) roses represents to me those times in my early twenties, going out with my sister, drinking and going to festivals.

Those were amazing years, full of fun and very little worries. Of course, there was lots of self-created drama, but the real world of adulthood and responsibility had not caught up with me yet. I loved that song and everything it represented, and I still love that song to this day.

In fact, I like this song so much I even named my blog after it.

Comments

Incredible story! Loved it, obviously.