Mama’s cooking

I just returned from spending two days at my mother’s. My mom is the greatest mom in the entire world. Ok I might be a little biased, but trust me, she is awesome.

I especially heart her cooking. She is not a great cook, and she hardly ever makes anything special, but it always tastes better than anything I make myself. Or anything I eat in restaurants.

Ok that last part is a lie. But still…why is it that a boring home cooked meal tastes ten times better when your mother makes it?

Last night she treated me to a standard traditional Dutch meal consisting of cooked potatoes, green beans, pork chops and gravy. I have to say, I never ever make this kind of food myself. Ok maybe once a year I do, but when my mom makes it it becomes a special treat.

There are a few things she makes though that are unaffected by the mom-bias. That is to say, these are truly extraordinary meals. One of those meals includes pea soup. Her pea soup is the meanest pea soup in the entire world.

My mother has been known to hand out plastic bags of her pea soup to all of the people who have ever tasted it. Every winter I feel lucky when a few of those bags end up in my fridge.

Comments