Don’t see it: the Love Guru

Don’t even ask me what the hell made me decide that watching The Love Guru was a good idea. I mean, the title alone should have stopped me, not to mention I totally hate this kind of genre (read: bad dumb humour).

But still, I just could not help myself. And well, what can I say. The movie is even worse than you might have thought. Let me enlighten you.

The Love Guru tells the story of Darren Roanoke (played by Romany Malco), a star hockey player, whose wife Prudence has left him for the goalie. He is so stressed out over this that it makes his hands shake, which is problematic because it is starting to affect his ability to score goals.

Guru Maurice Pitka (played by Mike Myers) is called upon to help Darren with his problems, so that the hockey team can once again win all of their games.

I could go into detail about the rest of the movie’s plot, but I think you can probably guess what is going to happen. The Guru is going to try to come up with lots of different and creative ways to get Darren to relax.

Of course, he is going to do this in the most hilarious manner possible. Or at least, I think that was the point of the movie. The problem with this, however, is that the Love Guru just is not funny.

In saying that I am being way too nice, because what I am honestly thinking is that this is probably one of the worst movies I have seen in a very long time. It is simply awful.

It is true that I am generally not a big fan of the kind of infantile humor that is displayed throughout this movie. However, I was willing to give the Love Guru the benefit of the doubt.

Don’t ask me why. I so wish I had not , because that is 90 minutes of my life I am never getting back. I mean, tell me if it is just me, but how on earth is watching guru apprentices attack each other with urine-soaked mops funny?

Would you actually be amused by detailed and graphic depictions of the biological functions of an elephant? Or by jokes about the digestion of the great guru himself? You enjoy non-stop silliness like I just mentioned, you say? Well, by all means then, go see this movie if you must.

Me on the other hand, I can only take so much poop and sex jokes in a 90-minute movie. It would not even have been all that bad, if all the silly jokes had at least been part of a nice story.

Sadly, this movie seems to have at least three times as many jokes as it has plot development. I do not expect much from a comedy like this, but I did expect something, anything.

If a good story was too much to ask, I at least wanted to be entertained or perhaps be moved in some way. Unfortunately, the only emotion this movie elicited from me, besides disgust, was utter disappointment.

Do not see it!

Comments