Big Brother…or just safe?

I have worked at several different universities and all seem to be having a problem with theft. At one place, it was so bad that thieves repeated had walked into some buildings and walked of with thousands of euros worth of computer equipment.

Needless to say, something needs to be done about it. The university I am working at right now has done just that. They have installed video cameras in every room and office in order to keep track of what is going on in there.

That is right, I have a security camera in my office. The lovely security people can watch my every move, including seeing if I am really working hard or scratching an itch in weird places.

I am not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it is great they are watching over our stuff so closely, but at the same time I do not like being watched all the freaking time.

To be honest, most of the time I am not even aware of the video camera. Maybe that is even worse. I mean, just take a minute to think about all the stuff that you do when you think there is no one around to see you.

Exactly. That’s my point.

Part of me does not really care, they can watch me all they want. Plus, I am at work so I am supposed to work there and nothing else. Yet I can’t help but feel it is a little creepy.

Can’t they just watch my office only when I am not there? I mean, I am hardly going to steal my own equipment, am I?

I have no idea who the guy (or girl) is who is watching these tapes. In fact, there is probably not even anyone watching. It is much more likely that they just check the tapes when something has happened. Hmm perhaps I should find out.

What do you think: Creepy or just good security measures?

Comments