What’s wrong with being single?

I have been single for a while now (read a looooooooong time). Most of the time I am fine with that. I like being on my own, living alone, and not having the hassle and drama that relationships bring. It probably also helps that I enjoy being by myself and really love my own company.

Seriously, I love weekends like the one I just had where I don’t really hangout or even talk to anyone, but just chill by myself. I sleep in late, go shopping, read, play online, make a nice dinner and watch some movies.

Don’t get me wrong, I also love to hangout with friends, go to pubs, interact and of course date. I love being in a relationship and being in love and all that good stuff, but I don’t need to be in a relationship to be happy.

What brought all this on? Well, I watched this Cherry Bomb vlog on After Ellen over the weekend that was all about serial monogamy. I don’t watch this vlog too often as I feel I really have very little in common with these ladies. At least, we never seem to agree on anything.

They were all saying that it is perfectly fine and normal to jump from one relationship to the next. Most of them were never single for long and some of them even liked to do this thing they called overlapping.

If you ask me, overlapping is really another word for cheating. Ok maybe not, but I honestly don’t understand women who cannot be alone and jump from one relationship to the next. Not only that, but how tacky is it to stay in a relationship until someone better comes along?

If you are not happy with your girlfriend anymore, just break up. Don’t wait until you can trade her in. There is nothing wrong with being on your own for a while. They kept saying but when you are single it is so boring having to do stuff on your own.

Don’t these women have friends to hang out with? I can think of a lot of reasons why I would want to be in a relationship with someone, but it certainly isn’t because being together is less boring than being alone.

The other thing that bothers me about this, is that if you go from one relationship to the next you don’t really take any time to get over the woman you just left. I would hate to get involved with someone who just broke up with their long term girlfriend the week before.

Is it just me or is there something seriously messed up with this whole serial monogamy thing?

Comments

Rose said…
It is not just you, there is plenty wrong with it. Try living in California, it seems to be an accepted way of life for a lot of the women I know.
Me on the other hand, same woman for 28 years. Yikes, I am old.
BTW, I enjoyed reading your blog. Thougth provoking and interesting. I will be back.
Natazzz said…
So is it just a California thing or a world wide epidemic?

I'm glad you like the blog Rose :-)
First off, you should be given a medal for even sitting through an entire episode of Cherry Bomb.
As for cheating, overlapping, trading in girlfriends for a better one, harboring a holy terror of singlehood...these women are just weak. Being alone or single isn't the worst thing, it isn't even all that bad, and it is better than being in a relationship with someone that you don't love.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, or cranky, or insane, but a relationship should be about love and trust, not a way station on the busline to Hook-Upville.
Natazzz said…
...these women are just weak.

I think that pisses me off most of all.

I don't usually watch Cherry Bomb. I actually stopped watching after the episode in which they proclaimed all lesbians should have sex with men, because how do you know what you like or don't if you haven't tried it. *sigh*