Blog crush: Malinda Lo

One of the best columns I have read in a long time is this month’s notes & queries column The trouble with “bisexual” on AfterEllen. Not only is it beautifully written, but also it is very brave and very honest. I could attempt to describe what it’s about or why it’s had an impact on me, but I am not sure I could do it justice. Just go read it yourself, if you haven’t already.

The woman behind this great column is Malinda Lo, whose articles on AfterEllen I have always enjoyed reading (and let’s not forget her great vlog the Lo down, together with Sarah Pecora). Unfortunately –for me, obviously not for her- she gave up being AfterEllen’s managing editor to become a fulltime writer, which means less articles, but of course we now get entire novels.

Good deal? Well, her debut novel Ash –a lesbian retelling of Cinderella – will be published in September, so I guess we can find out then. So far, three important factors say it’s going to be a great read: 1. Talented writer 2. Interesting topic 3. Very pretty book cover.

Don’t laugh, the latter is very important. I am the kind of person who always judges books by their covers, and I am usually right. That is to say, if I like a cover I usually enjoy the book and vice versa. There are exceptions of course, but I don’t expect Ash to me one of those.

You might be thinking, wasn’t this post entitled Blog crush. Where is this blog she is crushing about? Hang on, I am getting to this. Actually, I forgot to lead with it, and now I am too lazy to change it (Don’t judge, it’s my blog, I can do whatever I want here).

Malinda also has a blog (read it here) that I’ve enjoyed reading for quite a while now. Why? Well, apart from everything I already wrote about her awesomeness, it’s just very entertaining. In particular, she blogs about two of my favourite things: books and food.

I love reading about books (or writing) and food almost as much as I love to read books and eat. Everything at the same time sounds even more wonderful, although it might be too much of a good thing.

You can read about her writing and how it’s coming along, interviews with young adult writers, the importance of book covers, some thoughts on entertainment, and photo Fridays. Some of the blog posts that I’ve enjoyed most were those that describe meals that were consumed, accompanied with great photos of yummy food.

Looking for a nice food post to link to, I noticed it’s been a while since Malinda posted any new food posts. So to that I’d just like to say; more food posts please!

Comments