A look in my bookcase

I love reading. I read just about anything, well, fiction mostly. I must have read thousands of books and I am the proud owner of hundreds of them. Mainly paperbacks. I love paperbacks, especially if they have cool covers.

There might be the saying ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’ but I always do and haven’t been disappointed ever. If I really like the cover chances are I will love the book too and vice versa. Ok there have been a few exceptions, but it holds for the most part.

As you can see from one of my bookcases (Yes, that’s a Billy bookcase from IKEA) I am a big fan of suspense and crime novels. They are just such a fun read, there’s suspense, there’s usual a serial killer, some gore, and a socially not functioning too well detective or PI.

If in addition it is also written really well and has an original twist to this theme it quickly moves up in my favourite book list. The other kind of books I seem to have a lot of are –not very surprisingly – queer books.

By now I have quite a few books with lesbian storylines. Some are really really good (like books by Sarah Waters or Nicola Griffith, and other gems like Pages for you and Hannah on my mind) and some are really really bad (I have a lot of lesbian pulp from Naiad press that makes Harlequin novels look good).

In addition, I also have a lot of novels about gay men. Again, some good ones (Maurice by E.M. Foster, The Salt point by Paul Russell), but also a lot of average stuff I bought when I was younger and desperate for any content that wasn’t straight.

I also like the few kids books I own, including Het grote boek van Madelief one of my favourite novels when I was little. Don’t worry, there’s some classic literature there too like Animal Farm, 1984, Pride & Prejudice and The complete works of Shakespeare.

What’s in your bookcase?

Comments