Music Memory Moment: Let Love Rule by Lenny Kravitz

It’s been a while since I last wrote a blog post about a Music Memory Moment. I am not sure why, as it’s not like I have run out of MMMs. The song I want to mention this time is Let love rule by Lenny Kravitz.

I used to go to a lot of music festivals. That’s how I spend every summer from my late teens until my mid twenties. Pinkpop, Parkpop, Bevrijdingspop, Rock Werchter, Dynamo Open Air. You name the festival and I have probably been there. It was a great period of my life I think back on fondly.

Many of these music festivals I attended together with my sister, which was always a lot of fun as we like the same things, the same music and we have a similar kind of humour. The one thing that all those years going to festivals have in common is Lenny Kravitz.

For some reason the guy has been present at almost every festival we went to together. How do I know? Because it used to annoy the hell out of me. There was a point in my life, a long long time ago, when I was actually a bit of a fan.

I even went to see Lenny Kravitz in concert and got the T-shirt to prove it that I had for many years. Granted, I think that was in 1993 and by the time I started going to music festivals Kravitz was still performing the same songs. Every single year.

Ok sometimes the songs must have differed, but the one tune he always played was Let love rule. I have heard it so many times that even to this day when I hear it it annoys the hell out of me. It also always makes me think of those summers at the music festival with my sister.

In particular it makes me think back of one summer when we were attending Rock Werchter, but we had been a bit late and therefore our tent was set up in a ditch somewhere. I am not joking. It was half in the bushes and half up the side of a dried up ditch.

I remember getting really stoned lying around in front of our tent while Lenny Kravitz was playing – who we of course did not have to see because we had seen him that often. That was the famous afternoon (famous only for my sister and I) that my sister convinced me that horses had no teeth. In my defence I was a little out of it and it made perfect sense to me when she said it.

OMG Look at this....Lenny Kravitz playing at Rock Werchter in 2008. He is STILL playing at every festival year after year.

Comments