YouTube Thursday: Best songs of 1993 and 1994

When I was younger I used to go to all the music festivals every summer. I think I started going at exactly the right time, because when I was in my late teens all the cool music came out.

1993 and 1994 were the years when guitar music became really popular. After the grunge years, now it was time for a kind of music that would appeal to a larger audience. After that a few more years with some great great songs followed, but when you look at the songs that came out in 93/94 and what bands were headlining the festivals, you have to agree those were pretty great years. Well, if it’s your kind of music of course.

Here are some examples of the songs/bands I am talking about:

Smashing Pumpkins – Today (1994)

I used to be a big Smashing Pumpkins fan. Not so much anymore, but I can still appreciate their music.

The Breeders – Cannonball (1993)

This song was a huge hit in the indie charts and at the festivals in 1993/1994. Still a great song so many years later.

The Cranberries – Zombie (1994)

The Cranberries have had other hit songs that I love more (Linger, Dreams), but Zombie was the big hit.

Radiohead – Creep (1993)

Is it too early to call this song a classic? I think I’ll probably always love this song.

Comments

Random said…
Not so sure about the other bands...but I LOVED The Cranberries.
I do like Zombie but Linger was way better.
And the fact that you can still hear the Irish in Dolores O'Riordan's voice when she sings just makes the songs even better.

But then again that's probably just because I like accents :-)