Being Happy

I remember that when I was younger, and everyone was busy making lists of everything they wanted out of life, what they wanted to have and to achieve, I always used to say I just wanted to be happy.

For me, the most important thing one ought to want, and hope for in life, is to enjoy it, to be content, to feel happy. I was never quite sure how to achieve it, or what exactly it would entail, I just new I really wanted it.

Over the years, as I grew from teenager into young adult, and then later exchanging my twenties for my thirties, my life and who I was and what I wanted, fell more and more into place. There were many times when I felt content, thought life was good and felt happy. At least that was what I thought at the time.

To be honest, it's only in the last few years that I have felt truly happy. My thirties have been wonderful in that respect. Since I left my twenties behind, I not only know what I want and who I really am, but I am also totally at ease with that. For the most part, I love me just for me, flaws and all. 


The biggest contribution to my happiness though, happened almost a year and a half ago. That's when I met my current girlfriend. I always thought I was quite happy being single, that I didn't need anyone, that I was quite content with my life. How wrong I was.

I didn't notice what I was missing until I met Heidi. It felt like I had been incomplete my entire life, and now I am finally whole. Everything feels better and brighter with her in my life. I feel like I could do anything or nothing at all, and it will all be ok.

I used to hate it when people went on and on about how happy they were, how much they loved their partner and how everything was great. These days I am just like them, and I am loving every minute of it.

Comments