Books I read in May

Now that I have accepted I don't read nearly as much as I thought I would, I am fairly content with my 2 books a month. Yes, May was no exception. I also stayed with my usual genre of crime/suspense and I loved it!

Dead Sky by Tami Hoag

I've read novels by Tami Hoag before, but I was never a very big fan. Her novels are pretty good I guess, but I always find them kind of boring. It's something about the pace of the book, the details I do not quite care about or the long time it takes to get into the story. However, Dead sky did not have any of that.

Ok I think it did take me a few chapters to get into the story, but once that was over I didn't want to but the book down until it was finished. It was such a nice surprise! Why? I am not sure. Perhaps because it was a more appealing story, or the main characters were more likable. If you want to start reading Hoag's novels, I recommend reading this one first.


It tells the story of a judge who rules that evidence in the case of a brutal murder is inadmissible and there's a big public outcry. The judge in question is attacked and detectives try to figure out who was responsible for the attack as well as who's the real perpetrator who committed the murders.

What's interesting about this story is that it's told from many different perspectives (the judge, the detective, the killer). It is a little hard to get into at first, but once you're into it you just want to keep reading. Great, suspenseful plot, interesting characters, well-written. I'm glad to say I enjoyed it a lot.

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter

As I've probably mentioned before, I'm really into Karin Slaughter's books. They are all well-written, fast paced suspense novel with very likable main characters and a good plot. I've already read many of her books, but someone I had missed one of her Grant County series (the very first one). So after having read the entire series, I read the first novel where everything started.


I have to say it is weird reading it in this order, because you already know everything that will happen later, but it was very interesting to find out about all this earlier stuff that I missed. Blindsighted is just a good as all the other novels in this series. I recommend reading them in the correct order, but even if you just pick one of these books it will make sense without having all the back story.

This one tells the beginning of the lives and adventures of Dr. Sara Linton the towns doctor and coroner, Jeffery Tolliver the chief of police (and Sara's ex husband she cannot get over) and the only female detective in the town, Lena Adams. Blindsighted starts with the brutal rape and murder of Sibyl Adams, Lena's sister. Most of the novel revolves around this murder and Sara, Jeffery and Lena trying to find out who's responsible. Another great read I definitely recommend.

Comments